Due to my feeling trapped in the small former bedroom that was now the dedicated computer room, I decided to break down a few walls to combine all areas into one large space. It's a good thing that I didn't realise what I was info because I might not have started... I can honestly say that half the work is breaking down the walls and the other half is to clean up after...
Yup: these walls are brought down with a simple saw... well, a special oversized one with huge teeth...
These blocks weigh a ton it seems, and if they drop on the floor, they shatter in 36 pieces... OMG the mess, THE MESS....
OK there's no way back now...
In spite of all plastic covering, dust was EVERYWHERE!
OK, hope springs eternal... but as it would turn out, this was the easy wall, with only 2 electrics pipes coming from the ceiling
Oh joy, there's also the heating radiator to remove...
Water pressure is off, and armed with these pictures I went to the hardware shop, to get some end stops, as my house is a rental house, and when I move out, these walls, and radiator, need to be replaced. So, I couldn't simply remove them altogether.
Only part of the mess, as I brought debris away every evening to spread the load...
Restoring the desk that I had made so nicely only a short while ago in the small room
Draining the radiator
The floor had to be partially re-laid. Fortunately these particular floorboards were still available.
Naturally I had accounted for too little decoupling underlayment... but luckily I had plenty bubblewrap laying around to fill in the gaps. Well, the last boards don't carry any weight so that should be fine, no?
For a while I was struggling with the placement of the amplifier and associated equipment, until I decided that it could all be hidden away from sight in the room next door.
First speakers I tried were Westlake BBSM4 studio monitors. They sounded fabulously convincing acoustically, but were also bright and agressive, so they were changed to Genelec 8050s which have the added benefit of built in amplification. All that needed adding was a DAC with volume control. This was going to be the Wadia 121. Read more about this system.
Initially I though that using a surround amp's pre out into the Genelecs would be fine. However, a quick visit of the SOtM sDP1000 DAC quickly proved that much better sound could be had by going more the highend way. Read more about this.
Finished setup, seen from the bed side. You can watch TV from the bed, or from the table.
The Genelecs sound very good but the room is giving me problems when listening near-field. There's a huge peak at 118hz and thus far I have not been able to fix this. I'm getting help from GiK for advise on bass traps but it seems this is a unique problem and the only solution might be to delete the round table and to pull the desk and speakers forward, which is something that I have not been prepared to do... at first.
In the meantime, the Media Room has again changed, and also includes room treatment in the shape of GIK acoustic panels, mounted to the ceiling.
Wadia 121 - used as the hub of this system: TV is connected via toslink (booo, but it doesn't have coaxial), the main computer is connected directly using USB (with proprietary Wadia Clocklink technology), the Mac is connected via a HiFace EVO USB-spdif converter and the set top box and Sonos Connect (with W4S upgrade) are both connected coaxially. Read more about this system here
On these photos the room seems narrow, but it is actually 4 meters wide, and 7 meters deep.
I sit more often at this desk than I do in any other area of the house... main system included!
Please note that HFA has moved.
The information on this old site is no longer updated.